*adapted from the Banana-Oat Chocolate Chip Pancakes recipe on the FOK site…
- 2-3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 cups whole wheat or specialty flour like quinoa
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Vanilla and almond extract to taste
- Cinnamon or Apple Pie spice depending on toppings
Mash the bananas very well and add in the applesauce and almond milk. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Add the wet mix into the dry mix gently. Add it vanilla and almond extract along with desired spices. Give it a taste.
Since bananas do vary in size, the measurements/amounts might be slightly off. Once all ingredients are added together, just check that the consistency is easy to pour but not too runny. The oats can make them a little thick on the griddle, so just use the back of a spoon or ladle to flatten them just a bit. Cook at 350 on a griddle. No butter!
Can be topped with fruit compote…Blueberries, Strawberries, Apples, etc.
- 1 1/2-2 cups fresh or frozen fruit such as blueberries
- Approx. 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- Zest from 1 orange
- Splash of bourbon – Yes, bourbon. Or Chambord. Or Grand Marnier/Triple Sec.
- Sprinkling of raw sugar – just barely!
- Splash of vanilla and almond extract
Cook over medium heat until the berries are soft but still hold their shape. Top the pancakes with the compote, maple syrup and maybe a few extras like sliced almonds, granola, or chia seeds. Oh, and a mimosa on the side, because BALANCE.